Our AFC United recreational and travel soccer programs provide formal gameplay for older children (generally age 8 and older).
Please note that eligibility for all of our soccer programs is based on a child's birth year, in accordance with US Soccer standards.
Our teams normally play in the Reading-Berks Junior Soccer League, a grassroots-level travel league.
- For U9 and U10 (7v7), novice teams can play in Division 3 -- a de-facto recreational level -- and teams with more experienced players can play in one of the two traditional travel divisions.
- For U11 and U12 (9v9), there are normally two travel divisions; placement depends on the skill level of the team.
- For U13 and up (11v11), there is normally a single travel division.
Our teams may be expected to play some of their league games on Sunday afternoons. For those teams that choose to enter tournaments and/or play in winter indoor leagues, Sunday morning games are possible.
We strive to have a family-first, Christian soccer program. We want our kids to be passionate, and we want them to be as competitive as possible. But we don't want "travel soccer" to be a scary phrase. We want our families and our kids to breathe easy when something that's more important than soccer prevents them from participating in a practice or game. We do our best to support our kids who are involved in other activities and other sports.
As with all of our programs, our sessions include faith-based activities like prayer time and Bible lessons.
- A fall and spring commitment is preferred, for team continuity.
- Fall season is August - November.
- Spring season is March - May (some teams may choose to play into June).
- Some teams may choose to play in tournaments and/or winter indoor leagues.
- Prior soccer experience is preferred but not required. We value the desire and commitment of our players and families at these older age groups.
- Tryouts may be conducted if there are more registrants for a team than there are available roster positions.
- Practices will begin about one month prior to the first league game.
- During the season, expect two practices per week, and a game on the weekend. Teams may play in tournaments in addition to their league games.
- Travel to league away games is often 30 minutes or less (one-way), but there are some clubs who are located as far as 75 minutes away.
- Practice schedules are established by the team's coach, in collaboration with the AFC United Soccer Coordinator.
- Game schedules are established by the leagues in which we play, and the tournaments in which we're entered.
- Games can be played on Saturdays or on Sunday afternoons; makeup games can be played on weeknights.