Rec Basketball Update - 02 Dec 2020
EARLY REGISTRATION is open to returning AFC players. Instructions for early registration have been sent via email. If your child played with us last year, and you didn't receive an email, please reach out to us immediately.
Don't delay -- registration will be opened to the public on 08 Dec 2020!
Winter 2020/21 AFC Basketball Program
We thank all of our AFC families for their patience. We have put a tremendous amount of time into figuring out the possibilities and logistics for our upcoming winter season -- especially with very limited gym time and limited competition.
There's a LOT of information below. We know it's not a perfect scenario, but we are grateful to be able to offer something to every AFC family. We thank you for your understanding and we want you to know that we truly appreciate you!
We're working to open up registration and tryouts as soon as we can. In the meantime...
...here are AFC's decisions regarding our 2020/21 basketball program:
AFC is looking for volunteers and or students who need to fill community service hours by helping moving the chairs on Sunday and putting them back probably Thursday or Friday. Details will be provided as they become available.
Travel Program Information
AFC will have travel teams!
- BOYS - 3/4 grade team, 5/6 grade team, 7/8 grade team, 9/10 grade team
- GIRLS - 5/6 grade team
Travel teams will play in the VYBL (or another league, as appropriate). The Knee-hi league is off limits to AFC.
- Players from last year's teams will have the right of first refusal. In other words, if you played on a travel team last year, and you want to return, you will have the opportunity to return. Travel coaches will reach out to last year's players to confirm which players want to return.
- Open roster spots will be filled by tryouts only. AFC will provide gym time for tryouts.
- Prior to January 1, 2021, travel teams may schedule gym time for practices on Tuesday or Wednesday only. Remember that there are blackout times during Christmas break.
- Beginning January 1, 2021, AFC will NOT provide gym time for travel team practices.
AFC will NOT have any recreational basketball teams.
AFC will offer skills and drills for both boys and girls starting at the 3/4 level through high school. Sessions will be on Tuesdays and Wednesdays (schedule will be released on a later date).
PLEASE NOTE: Skills and drills sessions are for our recreational players ONLY.
Space is limited. Players from last year's recreational teams will have the right of first refusal. In other words, if you played on a recreational team last year, and you want to return, you will have the opportunity to return.
After our returning AFC families have had a chance to secure their spots, registration will open to the public. Our goal is to prevent returning AFC families from being shut out of our winter program.
The skills and drills program will start with social distancing and then as time continues players will be allowed to scrimmage each other.